Hello,

I have found FiPy to be a great tool so far, but I wanted to make sure that I
am using it correctly, because my results do not seem to be correct.

I am trying to represent this Hostetler 1-D Lake Equation:
$$
\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \nabla ([km + K(z,t)] \nabla T ) +
\frac{1}{C}\nabla \Phi
$$

with these boundary conditions (first is for the surface [z=0], seconds is for
the bottom of the lake):

$$[km + K(z,t)] \nabla T = EnergyBalanceEquation $$

$$[km + K(z,t)] \nabla T = 0 $$

Here is my representation:

(D[0]*temp).grad.constrain([fluxLeft],mesh.facesLeft)
(D[0]*temp).grad.constrain([fluxRight],mesh.facesRight)

eqX = TransientTerm() == (DiffusionTerm(coeff=D) +
(1./C))*Phi.arithmeticFaceValue.divergence)

where D is the diffusion coefficient calculated from  km + K(z,t) . Throughout
the iterations, I reset the surface boundary with the following lines:
fluxLeft = heatEnergy*(1./C)
(D[0]*temp).grad.constrain([fluxLeft],mesh.facesLeft)

I am not sure if I represented the heat source term correctly. With this
current representation, the temperature is is being inversely affected by the
heat source (energy goes up, temperature drops.) There is also a major scaling
issue, as I am getting temperature values in the negative thousands.

Please advise, and thank you in advance for your timely help.

Tara Larrue

Intelligent Robotics Group
NASA Ames Research Center