Thanks for updating PyPI. Actually the svn reference was not a slip, I was
following instructions on this page to install Fipy from source:
http://matforge.org/fipy/wiki/InstallFiPy/MacOSX/SnowLeopard#FiPy which
gives an "svn co" command. I missed the information on the main page about
the git repository.

(But it should be noted that, when following the instructions on the page
linked to, and using a source tarball from
http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/download/, the installation process went
smoothly.)

Thanks again for the follow-up & links!

Charles