Phil, just to follow up and complete the answer. I neglected to
explain how to create a rank 2 CellVariable from two rank 0
CellVariables to preserve the dependency. The dot operator helps with
that. Given two rank 0 CellVariables, v00 and v11, then to get the
rank 2 CellVariable use,

    vv = v00.dot([[1, 0], [0, 0]]) + v11.dot([[0, 0], [0, 1]])

--
Daniel Wheeler