Hi Kris,

FiPy doesn't have an automated way to do Newton iterations. You can
always construct your own Newton iteration scheme using the terms and
equations as you would ordinarily, but then you have to do the
variational derivatives and the coupling by hand. This also assumes
that you are familiar with the Newton method. You can query an
equation for its residual which then needs to be added to the Newton
version of the equation. I think that means that each equation
requires two implementations, the regular and the Newton.

Regarding examples of using FiPy with Newton iterations, I don't
believe that we have any examples in the source code although I do
know that some people have used it in this way including Jon Guyer. He
may have examples in Github somewhere that would help you get started,
but I'll let him point you to them.

Cheers,

Daniel

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Kris Kuhlman
<kristopher.kuhl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in trying to use newton iterations, rather than simply
> fixed-point iterations, to speed up the convergence of the non-linear
> iterations in my fipy problem.
>
> I have found this mention of a term useful for newton iterations,
>
> http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/fipy/generated/fipy.terms.html#module-fipy.terms.residualTerm
>
> and I see this mention of an example using newton iterations
>
> https://github.com/usnistgov/fipy/wiki/ScharfetterGummel
>
> but I don't see the actual code it is talking about. Is there an example
> available somewhere?
>
> Kris

Daniel Wheeler