From: fipy-boun...@nist.gov [mailto:fipy-boun...@nist.gov] On Behalf Of Daniel
Wheeler
Sent: 10 June 2016 18:18
To: Multiple recipients of list <fipy@nist.gov>
Subject: Re: casting implicit Boundary Conditions in FiPy

Hi Krishina and Ray,

Thanks for the interesting discussion. I'm not 100% sure about everything that
Krishina is asking for in the latter part of the discussion so I'm just going
to address the code that Ray has developed below (my code is below). I think
there is a way to handle the right hand side boundary condition both implicitly
and with second order accuracy using an ImplicitSourceTerm boundary condition
trick. Sort of similar to what is here,
http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/documentation/USAGE.html#applying-fixed-flux-boundary-conditions.

Like I said, I think the code below is both second order accurate (for fixed
dx) and implicit. Extending this to 2D might raise a few issues. The grid
spacing needs to be in the coefficient so, obviously, dx needs to be fixed in
both x and y directions. Also, I'm not sure if I'm missing a factor of dx in
the source term in 1D as I'm using both a divergence and an ImplicitSourceTerm
so there is some question about volumes and face areas in 2D as well. I'm also
confused about the signs, I had to flip the sign in front of the source to make
it work. It seems to look right though in 1D and you can just take one massive
time step to get to the answer. This will only work if k is negative otherwise
it's unstable, right?

The way I came up with the source was the following

    n.grad(phi) = k * (phi_P + n.grad(phi) * dx / 2)

and then solve for n.grad(phi) which gives

    n.grad(phi) = k * phi_P / (1 - dx * k / 2)

where phi_P is the value of phi at the cell next to the boundary with the
implicit boundary condition. Then we fake the outbound flux to be the
expression on the right of the equation.

Just as a general note it would be great in FiPy if we could come up with a
nice way to write boundary conditions in scripts that did all these tricks
implicitly without having to know all these background details about FV and how
FiPy works.

~~~~
import fipy as fp

nx = 50
dx = 1.
mesh = fp.Grid1D(nx=nx, dx=dx)

phi = fp.CellVariable(name="field variable", mesh=mesh, value=1.0)
D = 1.
k = -1.

diffCoeff = fp.FaceVariable(mesh=mesh, value=D)
diffCoeff.constrain(0., mesh.facesRight)

valueLeft  = 0.0
phi.constrain(valueLeft, mesh.facesLeft)
#phi.faceGrad.constrain([phi], mesh.facesRight) # This is the problematic BC
#phi.faceGrad.constrain(phi.harmonicFaceValue, mesh.facesRight) # This is the
problematic BC
#phi.faceGrad.constrain([k * phi.harmonicFaceValue], mesh.facesRight) # This is
the problematic BC

implicitCoeff = -D * k / (1. - k * dx / 2.)

eq = (fp.TransientTerm() == fp.DiffusionTerm(diffCoeff) - \
      fp.ImplicitSourceTerm((mesh.faceNormals * implicitCoeff *
mesh.facesRight).divergence))

timeStep = 0.9 * dx**2 / (2 * D)
timeStep = 10.0
steps = 800

viewer = fp.Viewer(vars=phi, datamax=1., datamin=0.)

for step in range(steps):
    eq.solve(var=phi, dt=timeStep)
    viewer.plot()
~~~~

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Raymond Smith