For some reason, I think FiPy is invoking a MultiViewer to display your two
CellVariables, and MultiViewer doesn't support the filename= argument.

My guess is that copy.deepcopy is resulting in two CellVariables defined on
identical but different Meshes. FiPy does not attempt to view different Meshes
in the same Viewer. I would suggest calling phi.copy() rather than
copy.deepcopy(phi).