From: "James Pringle" <jprin...@unh.edu>
To: "fipy" <fipy@nist.gov>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:31:51 PM
Subject: solvers for elliptic equations with dominant lower order terms

Dear all --

I need to solve a second order PDE in 2D of the form

A(x,y)*(eta_xx+eta_yy)+B(x,y)*eta_x+C(x,y)*eta_y = 0

This is an advective diffusive balance, with B and C representing the advective
velocities.

BQ_BEGIN

BQ_END
Over much of the domain the low order terms dominate. For some geometries, the
default solver I am using (SciPy LinearLUSolver) is having trouble find an
answer (especially when the characteristics defined by B and C form loops .

Does anyone have recommendations for how to choose a better solver? (I have
blindly tried all the ones in SciPy, the ones besides LinearLUSolver do worse).

And are there any hints on how to use preconditioners? There is discussion of
preconditioners and Trilinnos, but I can't find hints on how one would choose
to use them and when they might help.

Pointers to the broader literature are welcome!

Thank you,
Jamie Pringle