I must confess that this answer makes me sad. FiPy is object oriented precisely
so that you don't need to do this. The intended design is that you subclass
Matplotlib1DViewer to override the behavior you want. There are two places you
can do this:

* In Matplotlib1DViewer.__init__(), around
https://github.com/usnistgov/fipy/blob/71d82e1cc7b2c4e7c1c996d038fd8542d7e4c5a1/fipy/viewers/matplotlibViewer/matplotlib1DViewer.py#L82
 and following, add a `color=` argument to the creation of the lines.

* In Matplotlib1DViewer._plot(), after
https://github.com/usnistgov/fipy/blob/71d82e1cc7b2c4e7c1c996d038fd8542d7e4c5a1/fipy/viewers/matplotlibViewer/matplotlib1DViewer.py#L145,
 add a `line[0].set_color()` call.

In addition to subclassing for your own purposes, a pull request that adds this
capability to Matplotlib1DViewer would be most welcome.

P.S. I think Dan Lewis is thinking of the custom viewers in
https://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/examples/phase/generated/examples.phase.anisotropy.html
 and
https://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/examples/phase/generated/examples.phase.polyxtal.html.
 Neither does the specific customization you are looking for, but they
illustrate how subclassing a Viewer class is intended to work.

- Jon