Hello,

I was just looking at:

Boettinger, W. J., J. A. Warren, C. Beckermann, and A. Karma. “Phase-Field
Simulation of Solidification.” Annual Review of Materials Research 32, no.
1 (August 1, 2002): 163–94.
https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.matsci.32.101901.155803.

and maybe Equation 27 is the way to compute interface velocity in
examples.phase.anisotropy:

v = -\frac{1}{\| \nabla \phi \|}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}

Then it remains to express the right hand side of that equation in the FiPy
language.  It does look like this only gives the velocity magnitude rather
than the velocity vector.