Mea Culpa.

I thought the question of an armed individual "duty to rescue" too narrow for
just a discussion in the legal context since "duty to rescue" laws explicitly
exclude the "duty" when acting would place your life in danger (even Jewish law
has similar exclusions
http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/kitveyet/assia_english/kirschenbaum.htm ).

Since use of deadly force (e.g., threating some one with a gun) is illegal
unless someone's life is in danger, unless you were in the situation of relative
safety and viewed an attack endangering the life of a third person, you would
have no legal "duty to rescue" by threatening deadly force.  Even in those
circumstances, legal "duty to rescue" is limited to cases where you are somehow
responsible for the conditions that placed the life in peril.

So, if we are limited to legal questions, the circumstances for an armed private
person having the legal "duty to rescue" should be limited to cases where the
person has created the peril somehow -- perhaps by knowingly allowed thugs to
use his property for illegal activities and an attack is made by one of those
thugs on his property.  Then, if he sees this attack while he is armed, he might
have the legal "duty to rescue" if he can do so from conditions of relative
safety.

In a nut shell, if you are armed and close enough to an attack that your life is
in peril, you can legally respond to protect your life (or not if you want), if
you are far enough from an attack that your life is not placed in peril by your
respond, you still have no legal "duty to rescue" unless you are responsible for
the circumstances leading to the life being placed in peril.

Phil