-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Gifford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:36 PM
Subject: GIULIANI AND THE SECOND

About the only upside I've found to being stuck in Los Angeles traffic
is that I get to listen to some of the radio talk shows that I never
otherwise hear. Yesterday, I happened to catch Hugh Hewitt's exchange
http://www.townhall.com/MediaPlayer/AudioPlayer.aspx?ContentGuid=8d8ee91
4-40f0-4a15-b935-bba45ada9cd3
with former New York City mayor and present Republican presidential
hopeful Rudy Giuliani on several subjects. The one I've transcribed
below concerns the Second Amendment. Opinions vary about what Guiliani
really believes about gun rights and what he would actually do if
elected President, but as I was transcribing the interview (audio at the
above site), it struck me how difficult it is to transcribe him (and how
glad I was no longer a reporter having to do so) because of his halting,
back tracking speaking style. That makes him come across to me as
somewhat less than believable. I get the feeling he is uncomfortable
with the Second Amendment subject because he doesn't really believe in
it.

Giuliani's words, however, say that he has been educated by the
Washington, DC decision overturning that city's gun prohibition law and
that he now sees matters differently. If that means Guiliani is truly
educatable, it speaks volumes in his favor. The bothersome part of his
having to be enlightened by a court decision on the Second about facts,
intent and history that most Americans have implanted in their DNA is
the implicit "the constitution means whatever judges say it means"
notion of living constitutionalists that an an enumerated "right of the
people" -- meaning an individual right -- can be given, taken away or
dramatically altered depending on the social lifestyle or political whim
of someone wearing a black robe. According to Historian Bruce Kaufman,
who's piece follows the Hewitt-Guiliani back and forth: "We will see
what the Supreme Court thinks." Indeed we will. But as University of
Texas law professor Sanford Levinson quoted in his Yale Law Review piece
about "The Embarrassing Second Amendment": "If the Second Amendment
isn't worth the paper it's written on, what price the First?" Hardly a
new slippery slope notion but one that is at least as troubling as the
uncertainty expressed by Guiliani's comment that the Constitution
"gives" individual's rights.

A red light flashes whenever I hear a politician or judge use that word
or others like "allows," "affords" or whatevers instead of "guarantees"
regarding rights that were understood since the founding of this country
and before as fundamental individual rights that government has no
authority to abolish or alter. FDR and his Attorney General, Homer
Cummings, understood that because the original 1930s federal firearms
law he got Congress to enact was based on Congress' authority to
regulate interstate commerce since he and the lawmakers then understood
the Second to be an individual right which they had no authority to
legislate against.

-Dan

Hewitt:
Let's talk about the crime and the violence, mayor, in our remaining
minutes. On Sunday, a private citizen who had volunteered to provide
security at the Colorado Springs New Life Church stopped a maniac who
had already killed four and wounded more. What does that episode tell us
about guns and law abiding citizens?

Giuliani:
It tells us that we should keep guns out of the hands of criminals and
that we should respect the rights of law abiding citizens to bear and
carry arms and that if we can't respect it, we should at least respect
the Constitution who gives them that right.

Hewitt:
Now Tom Brokaw was on this program with me last week and he had this to
say about you and guns:

Brokaw:
And by the way, he's now down there appearing before the NRA. When he
was here in New York he was arguing for gun control and he's done a 180
on it.

Hewitt:
Do you think he flip-flops on guns?

Brokaw:
Yeah!

Hewitt:
What about that, mayor?

Giuliani:
I believe that what I was doing as the Mayor of New York City was to
reduce crime in New York. I had a terrible problem. I had 1,800 to 2,000
murders a year. I reduced shootings by 74%, homicides by 67%. I enforced
the gun laws of New York City, I enforced the gun laws of New York very
aggressively. I do not believe, however, that that would give me any
right to ignore the Second Amendment.

Hewitt:
Were the gun laws, in your view, constitutional?

Giulianai:
I thought at the time they were. I think in light of the Parker decision
I think that some of them would be seen as constitutional. Some there
might be a question about. It's going to depend on how the Supreme Court
decides this decision. The way I read it, and I agree with the Parker
decision -- that wasn't the law at the time, there was no Parker
decision when I was doing these things. It says that you can, it's an
individual right, you can place limits, that the limits have to go to
criminal background and mental instability.

----
If Rudy Giuliani once viewed the Second Amendment as a state or
collective right, as opposed to an individual one, he was hardly alone.

As constitutional law professors like Don Kates, Dan Polsby, Glenn
Reynolds and others have mentioned, the Second was not even on the radar
screen at elite law schools until about 20 years ago. By that time,
Guiliani was out of law school and busy prosecuting the mob and Wall
Street crooks -- same difference too often.

Still many of the same questions persist in recent articles now that the
Second is at the front of many minds. For instance, in the following
piece, The controversial Second Amendment, historian Bruce Kauffmann
mentions the confusion surrounding the term "militia" as used in the
Second Amendment -- too often erroneously said to be The National Guard
-- and the intent of the Amendment as understood by those who wrote it.
It was clear to them, as Kauffman notes, but time and intentional
politically instigated obfuscation have muddied the Second's language
since the modern "gun control" movement started during the 1960s.

-Dan

"The National Guard is not the 'Militia' referred to in the Second
Amendment ... When Congress and the people spoke of a 'Militia', they
had reference to the traditional concept of the entire populace capable
of bearing arms ... for defense against crime, foreign invasion and
ruler tyranny."

U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee
Report on the Constitution, 1982

"The Second Amendment's first portion is simply a statement, a
declaration, that 'a well regulated militia is necessary to the security
of a free state.' Its corollary is that 'the right of the people to keep
and bear arms shall not be infringed.' The prohibition is general. No
clause in the Constitution could by rule of construction be conceived to
give to Congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt
could only be made under some general pretense by a state legislature.
But if in blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it,
this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint."

William Rawle
A View of the Constitution 125-6 (2nd edition, Philadelphia, 1803) This
was the standard constitutional text at Harvard and other law schools
until the 1870s.

"The right to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the
palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral
check against the usurpations and arbitrary power of rulers; and it will
generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable
the people to resist and triumph over them."

Joseph Story
A Familiar Exposition of The Constitution of the United States, 1840
(Regnery Gateway) pp 319-320.
Story was a U.S. Supreme Court Justice from 1811 until 1845 and a
Harvard Law School professor.

"THE RIGHT IS GENERAL...It may be supposed from the phraseology of this
provision that the right to keep and bear arms was only guaranteed to
the militia; but this would be an interpretation not warranted by the
intent. If the right were limited to those enrolled [by the government
in the militia], the purpose of this guarantee might be defeated
altogether by the action or neglect to act of the government it was
meant to hold in check. The meaning of the provision undoubtedly is that
the people from whom the militia must be taken shall have the right to
keep and bear arms, and they need no permission or regulation of law for
the purpose."

Thomas McIntyre Cooley
The General Principles of Constitutional Law in the United States of
America (1880) p 270-271.
Cooley was a Michigan Supreme Court Justice and first dean of the
University of Michigan College of Law.

The controversial Second Amendment
By Bruce Kauffmann
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Writer-historian
http://www.historylessons.net/brucepraise.html
Longview News-Journal
December 12, 2007
http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/features/stories/stories/2007/1
2/12/12122007_Kauffmann.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=5

When the Bill of Rights was ratified this week (Dec. 15) in 1791, the
Founders never dreamed that centuries later the Second Amendment would
become so controversial. To them, "A well regulated Militia, being
necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to
keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed," was fairly straightforward
language.

How wrong they were, as evidenced by the Supreme Court's recent decision
to rule on whether Washington, D.C.'s strict firearms law violates the
Constitution, "a decision," The Washington Post wrote, "that will raise
the politically and culturally divisive issue of gun control just in
time for the 2008 elections."

The main controversy is over the phrase "A well regulated militia," and
its relationship to the statement "the people's right to keep and bear
Arms, shall not be infringed." Gun-control advocates believe this
language means that if you don't belong to a "regulated militia" your
right to own a gun can be "infringed."

Gun-rights advocates counter by noting that the amendment does not grant
a right; it recognizes a right already granted. The amendment does not
say, "The people have the right to keep and bear arms." It says, "the
(already established) right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall
not be infringed." And they have a point. As even the Supreme Court has
acknowledged, the right to own firearms precedes the Bill of Rights.

Gun advocates also note that because the amendment gives the right to
bear arms to the "people," not the states, claiming that this right is
dependent on anything the states do or don't do - including forming
militias - is ludicrous. After all, the Bill of Rights mentions no
specific rights that the states possess, but several the people do.

Two additional points: In 1791, most state militias did not give guns to
militiamen when militias were formed. Militiamen brought their guns with
them - from home. Indeed, the amendment says they can "keep" their
firearms, not merely "bear" them during military service.

Finally, (my hero) James Madison's original Second Amendment language
was as follows: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not
be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best
security of a free country." Written that way, he is saying that if the
people don't have the right to arms, there can't be a militia. That
Congress reversed the order does not change Madison's intent.

Granted, all constitutional rights, including free speech and gun
ownership, are subject to reasonable restrictions - you can't yell
"Fire" in a crowded theater, and felons can't possess firearms. But the
general right to own firearms is constitutionally protected. We will see
what the Supreme Court thinks.

###