On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 02:23:13PM -0500, Philip F. Lee wrote:
> Recently, the NRA supported HR2640, the so-call NICS improvement
> measure, and CBS News ("NRA, Democrats Team Up To Pass Gun Bill",
> WASHINGTON, June 13, 2007) and the Wall Street Journal ("Uncommon
> Harmony: Democrats and NRA Push for Gun Bill", David Rogers, June 13,
> 2007) gave them credit for doing so.  The NRA web page
> http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?id=246&issue=018 also
> shows this support.
>
> Previously, the NRA supported the Brady bill and was instrumental in
> supporting "instant check" which effectively saved the Brady
> background check.

Ah, yes. The five day "instant" registration scheme.

Yes, I know the statute says they aren't to keep records of
approvals. Right. And what computer operator has ever been fired for
being overzealous in backup administration?

> This instant check was opposed by the Brady organization, but
> without it, the background checking provisions using local police
> but not paying them to perform the checks was held unconstitutional
> by the USSC.  Without the instant check provisions, there the Brady
> bill might have been rendered impotent.
>
> There are many other cases of pro-RKBA activists questioning whether
> the NRA is a supporter of the Second Amendment -- in one case, the NRA
> attempted to torpedo the DC v Heller law suit in early stages; in
> another Dr. Sarah Thompson(a well-known RKBA activist) wrote "Not
> Rational Anymore"
> http://www.shmoo.com/mail/cypherpunks/may00/msg00103.shtml
> to show her dislike of NRA activities.

Let's see, teaming up with Brady folks to pass a law in PA that
allowed the cops to confiscate firearms under certain conditions. In a
delicious irony, the first victim was an NRA member.

> I think it isn't reasonable to try to use the NRA as exemplar of a pro-
> Second Amendment organization.  I would class them as a pro-right of a

I would say, "pro-privilege", not "pro-right".

Gun Owners of America and Jews for the Preservation of Firearms
Ownership come to mind as "pro-right" organizations.

> some citizens to own and use some firearms group with the "some
> citizens" and "some firearms" defined to be as wide as possible as
> political conditions permit.

Also, as far as I know, the NRA has so far avoided mentioning Ron
Paul's presidential campaign in its literature, though I would be glad
of any correction on this point. They finally mentioned Libertarians
when they had to deal with the fact of four sitting Libertarians in
the New Hampshire legislature a few years ago.

> --
> The Art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get
> at him as soon as you can. Strike at him as hard as you can and as
> often as you can, and keep moving on.
>  -- Ulysses S. Grant

Or, as Patton put it, "Grab him by the nose and kick him in the
pants."