DC did find (or to be precise, appropriated him from Saul Cornell) a sorta
popular legal commentary in the 1820s, I believe, that argued (sans historical
references) for a collective manner of right.

Remember also that the traditional collective right (it's a state's right) is
somewhat different from DC's sophisticated collective rights approach (it's an
individual right, but only operative if a state creates a well-organized
militia). This (1) sidesteps the "right of the people" textual problem and (2)
enables at least some individual right sources to be read as ambiguous ("OK, he
said it's an individual right, but that's not inconsistent with this thesis.")

On the other hand, this approach was only invented in the late 1990s. This does
not prevent its proponents such as Justice Stevens from citing the Circuit's
pure collective rights rulings as supporting it.