From: firearmsregprof-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:firearmsregprof-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]on Behalf Of Philip F.
Lee
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 8:39 AM
To: shatt...@aol.com; firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Shotguns as recommended for self-defense for some
peopleover handguns

It appears that we have vastly difference experiences with firearms.

First, my grandkids (16, 14, 12) shoot shotguns including my 12 year
angelic granddaughter who can't weigh 95 pounds.

Second, I would never use buckshot larger than #4 for home defense.

Third, even cops don't get point shooting right and few handgun
shooters will train enought to get hits.

Finally, my expectation for home defense doesn't include home
clearance.

I have more, but we are seeing why we have races and other contest to
settle differences.

Phil

> In a message dated 2/7/2009 1:27:08 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> pf...@wdn.com writes:
>
> None of  the responders mentioned the risk of liability on injury to
> innocents from  handgun rounds penetration and range compared to
> shotguns.
>

> Shotguns can over penetrate compared to shotguns and vice versa.  A
load of
> 00 buckshot or a slug can go through several layers of drywall and
plywood
> side paneling, hitting those same innocents.  Hollow points,
polymer nose, and
> self defense frangible handgun rounds can stop in a single  layer of
drywall.
> Nothing guaranteed however.  The only thing  consistent about small
arms
> ammunition is its inconsistency.  For home  defense, ammunition
selection is the
> most important criterion after 100% firearm  reliability and
usability by the
> defender.  All ammunition must be balanced  for its intended use
regardless of
> launching platform.
>

> Also, the shotgun should have a superior hit probability to the
> handgun for those with limited experience.  In fact on this list
has
> been a report about the shotgun's superior hit ability in combat to
> limit range (60 yards?) relative to modern assault rifles.  I don't
> have a reference currently.
>
> Phil
>
> In the hands of an experienced shooter, with appropriate ammunition
> selection, yes, a shotgun has longer range potential.  Show me a
home with  a 60 yard
> shot indoors, and I'll show you someone who has enough money for
armed
> bodyguards.  That aside, inexperienced shooters often find shotguns
intimidating
> because of huge perceived recoil.  That causes strange things  like
hip shooting
> at odd angles, holding the gun away from one's shoulder or  face,
and misses
> at really close range.  The shotgun does have a larger  pattern at
typical
> home defense distances, but Joe Olson and others have  correctly
pointed out that
> at those distances, the shot spread is no more than  3-5" at best,
less than
> an inch with a slug.  They are terribly cumbersome  to use indoors
around
> corners and hallways without much practice.  If a  home defender is
just going to
> sit in place, and is an experienced shooter, the  shotgun with
appropriate
> ammunition may be an excellent choice.  Most home  defense uses are
by
> inexperienced shooters who have a minimum knowledge of how  one
particular gun works,
> [...]
redir=http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or
wrongly) forward the messages to others.