On Jul 22, 2009, at 6:26 AM, Volokh, Eugene wrote:

Hmm; didn't she say, "I'm trying to think if I remember a case where the Supreme Court has addressed that particular question. Is there a constitutional right to self-defense? And I can't think of one. I could be wrong, but I can't think of one"? If so, then I'm not sure that cases dealing with a right to self-defense under substantive federal criminal law would qualify. Or am I missing something?

Korwin replies:

Eugene raises a good point I missed and should perhaps follow up with: There are no federal self-defense laws, as far as I'm aware -- it's strictly a state matter and a police matter.

The really disappointing thing is that, with 7,000 on my national news list, no one picked up on it, not even the gun-rights advocates. Seems impossible. I'll bet Eugene could get better media responses with two phone calls.

Please post this to your list, which I'm not on.

Alan.

--
       Escape the Rat Race for Peace, Quiet, and Miles of Desert Beauty
         Take a Sanity Break at The Bunkhouse at Liberty Haven Ranch