Hi All,
A friend of mine just got arrested in ny on an illegal weapons charge. They were travelling back to la thru a ny airport, when they went to the counter to declare their firearm (unloaded, locked hard container) they got arrested for illegal possession of a pistol.

Point of origin and destination were legal places for ownership/possession. A quick google search shows this is apparently not uncommon.

If anybody had any advice for my friend, I would greatly appreciate it(!), but, separately, I am not sure how this law (and the enforcement thereof) is constitutional?? It seems like this should fall under protections of interstate commerce as well as equal protection, or, am I misreading the situation?

Honestly, I don't see how somebody could legally travel if they have an in transit stop in nyc and that seems like it shouldn't be the jurisdiction of the city to decide. Demographically, my friend would probably make a good test case for a challenge of the law (upright citizen/socially conscious/does academic research in social welfare for minorities), but, that too seems probably a battle that is hard to fight in terms of time/resources.

Again, advice/explanations welcome,
  Jonathan