I agree that there is a distinct possibility in our world today. However; it is
wrong to assume that we can simply go around fearing crime. Fighting crime? OK.
Working to prevent crime? OK. Ensuring that those caught committing crime are
punished? OK. Living on the San Francisco Peninsula about 4 or 5 miles from the
San Andrea's fault I know it is a distinct possibility that I will live through
a significant earth quake. Do I prepare for this? Yes. Do I work to help my
community minimize the likely problems associated with this likely event? Yes.
Do I fear the eventual earthquake? No.

You can apply the same to people who live in areas subject to hurricanes etc.

I don't think that disassociating the term fear with crime is a terrible thing.
I also think the problem is that so often the gun is demonized as an inanimate
object via an associative property which I don't believe exists.  Most
criminals violent criminals wear jeans that doesn't mean it is acceptable to
fear jeans nor is there some sort of associative effect in the mind of the
public. This is simply because there are a number (large or small, you decide)
of influential people who are inventing this association.

Now. Even you discard all of the above.  Monger, according to Webster,  means a
person who attempts to stir up or spread something that is usually petty or
discreditable. So semantically using monger implies that the fears (even if
there is some degree of rational fear) traded in are those which are petty or
discreditable.