Being both a marketing person (working with media) and the local gun policy
go-to for reporters, I have an AP observation.

The AP in particular rarely reports gun stories with technical accuracy.
Much of their semantic skewing appears to come from their central office.
The Alabama reporter might have known details about Alabama permits, but an
upstream editor likely massaged it into its silly final product.

I’m loath to accuse them of intentional distortion (what is the old line,
“never claim conspiracy when stupidity is a suitable explanation”?) but AP’s
rather consistent misrepresentation of facts vis-à-vis gun issues makes me
believe policy is at play.  Granted, their headquarters are in New York and
the idea of not requiring ownership permits may be foreign in that
territory, but that should not be an excuse for poor journalism.

BTW, was the university a “gun free” zone?  Were CCW holders barred from
carrying on campus?  I have not had time to check.

Guy Smith

www.GunFacts.info <http://www.gunfacts.info/>

  _____