Folks:  I'm looking for an authoritative list of U.S. jurisdictions in which
legally owning a handgun (not getting a license to carry, but being able to
legally own a handgun in one's home) is quite difficult - for instance, because
there's a discretionary licensing scheme, a long (more than a month) waiting
period, a huge amount of hassle, or very high fees (say, above $100).  By way
of comparison, I know California is a relatively high-regulation jurisdiction,
but when I bought my handgun in the late 1990s, I basically had to wait 21 days
(I think), pay a relatively modest fee (I forget what it was), and take a
simple written test.  I'm looking for jurisdictions that impose considerably
greater constraints than this.

I'm giving a talk on guns in America, and I wanted to draw a handgun ownership
laws map of the U.S. comparable to the right-to-carry laws maps that we've all
seen.  I don't want to score any political points; I just wanted to accurately
and simply portray where handgun home ownership is quite difficult and where
it's not that difficult.  Many thanks for any help you can provide,

Eugene