You left out "the security of". But the original meaning of "militia" translates as "defense service", an activity. In idiomatic English it is common to make words polysemes, and in particular, a kind of polyseme I call an actronym, for a word that originally meant an activity and has come to also mean those engaged in the activity. Try replacing the word "militia" with the phrase "defense activity" wherever it appears and you might get a better sense of it.