From: Phil Lee [mailto:maryland_al...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:26 AM
To: Volokh, Eugene; Firearmsregprof
Subject: Re: doctor "boundaries"

And yet this appeal case Eugene cites rejected the Constitutional right ("We
also reject appellant's constitutional challenges as lacking merit under either
the federal or Nevada constitutions.") that Eugene has advanced.

Ethical rules govern ethical men not from fear of penalty, but a man's sense of
honor and wish to do right.  Of course professional societies may have
extralegal procedures to admonish misbehaving members or to eject them.  And if
such a member appeals to the courts, that part of government may be engaged.
But Gentile v. State Bar of Nevada gives no support that a lawyer may violate
ethical constraints under the guise of "free speech" protection.

Doctors who go outside of medicine might be vulnerable to a malpractice suit by
the patient in addition to the action by a professional society so patients who
receive advice on guns should make sure to get this advice in writing and on
the record.

Phil