From: James Heath [mailto:heath.seat...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:26 AM
To: Volokh, Eugene
Cc: firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: California doctors' boundaries

I don't have a position about the constitutionality of this kind of speech
restriction on doctors, so am not arguing a conclusion. I don't know enough to
have a conclusion. Eugene's qualified response makes me believe the question is
not slam-dunk already answered, so probably even he can make arguments for and
against its constitutionality. The arguments against it are obvious so not as
interesting.  It seems plausible that such restrictions might be permissible
because:

* Doctor's licenses are conditional on complying with standards set by the
legislature (or by a body designated/delegated by the legislature).

* There seem to be few areas where the courts have constrained the
legislature's ability to set such standards or make definitions. Abortion is
the glaring example, in which the patient's (not the doctor's) right is
involved.

* I'm guessing that the state can license what Eugene and I think is junk
science, and can refuse to license good science. As  far as I know, there's no
constitutional requirement for the legislature *not* to license e.g. phrenology
because it doesn't meet somebody's standards of "science."

* Some body must have the authority to define the limits of "medicine" and
declare what is outside the bounds of the state medical license. That would
seem to be the legislature within the constitutional limits above.

* It seems doctor's speech for the purpose of diagnosing patients could be
considered treatment and liable to regulation, hence the homosexual-treatment
example. To undo that would require a court substituting its judgment for the
legislature's, which would fall under what standard of review?

* To strike down a gun-question ban, the court would either have to second
guess the legislature by declaring that guns do equal medicine, or alternately
decide that the doctors' right to ideological speech falsely posing as medicine
outweighs the legislature's interest in regulating medicine.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Volokh, Eugene