The debate here is following the old shibboleth of confusing self-defense with
vigilantism.  I haven't overlooked the point that Eugene consistently couches
his hypotheticals so that some law or other allows an offender to be killed at
ay time, by any person.  This is consistent with vigilantism, not self-defense.

The essence of self-defense is that it is in the moment, unavoidable, and
prevents equivalent harm to an innocent victim.  Yes, the victim can be
considered merely an "accuser," but he is also an eyewitness, a first
responder, and in immediate peril.  The due process dance occurs later, when a
jury decides whether the victim's perception that he was in immediate and major
peril was a reasonable one.

The second paragraph below simply argues mens rea -- a traditional dividing
line between a crime and a tort.  Though the "innocently mistaken victim" and
the insane may not be guilty of a crime, they are usually found civilly
responsible for an unjustifiable homicide, and so still pay a social price.

A more cogent question would be, what (other than voter disgust) stops states
from enshrining ANY unorthodox police power provision in their state
constitutions?  Certainly there are a lot of state powers that have no
counterpart at all in the federal constitution.  Under what provision or hat
authority would a federal government intervene and nullify such a change?