I read the Abstract at SSRN but didn't read the 100+ page paper.

  Reading the Abstract gave me a feeling that a *lot* of tests of
significance were done. It is well known in statistics that if one
runs enough tests that eventually, maybe pretty soon, that one will
get a significant result (p < .05), i.e. incorrectly reject the null
hypothesis when there is no true effect. There are various correction
methods, e.g. the Bonferroni correction for multiple comparisons.

  I did read the Lott rebuttal Guy cited, and he points to a lot of
real problems, but again it would take a lot of time/effort to check
all of his points in addition to reading and understanding the 100+
page paper (well, it's double spaced so it's not as large as I first
thought.)

--henry schaffer