Hi,

At April-08-11, 3:56 AM, Vlad Khorsun wrote:

>> And, I've just learned that the new
>> Delphi 64-bit compiler(hopefully released later this year) will only
>> use fastcall for DLL interfaces(even Microsoft has that same
>> restriction for 64-bit).

>     Where can i read about it ? Because i doubt fastcall is *only* supported
> calling convention in Win64. Moreover, in COM. According to MSDN __fastcall
> is MS-specific while COM have more wide scope. So, there is no possibility to
> use anything else then stdcall in IUnknown despite of 32\64 bitness.

https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=52117
http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/64-bit (Here it is
mentioned in the video presentation that only one calling convention
will be supported in 64-bit, but unfortunately doesn't specifically
mention which one. Which is where the speculation of fastcall/register
originates, as mentioned in the Delphi forum thread, most likely
because of the MSDN documentation.)

And, here's another document that I found:
http://www.agner.org/optimize/calling_conventions.pdf
Look on page 16, in the paragraph starting with "Calling convention",
the last line refers to 64-bit mode.

>     Delphi used "fastcall" as default calling convention for class methods for
> a very long time and this is not new and not related to the x64. It is named
> "register" in Delphi Help. Probably new marketing department decided to
> rename good old "register" by new cool "fastcall" in still not released Delphi
> x64 compiler :)

>     Am i wrong ?

You are correct, it is "register" in Delphi, which looks to be the
same as "fastcall" in C++, after reading the documentation.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Rail