Hi Adriano,

Am 21.11.2011 20:04, schrieb Adriano dos Santos Fernandes:
> On 21/11/2011 16:45, Frank Ingermann wrote:
>> So this would mean option b) is correct:
>>
>> b) [ ] window functions are not supposed to work in the "child select"
>>         part of recursive CTEs
>>
>> - since Window functions belong to<aggregate function>   |<grouping
>> operation>   ?
>
> They are not part of these clause, so it should be supported, and PgSQL
> supports it.

hmm... the fact that PG "supports" it (=doesn't throw an error)
doesn't necessarily make it a good choice for doing what i was
trying to do - (i learned -the hard way, over the years- that
results you GET may coincide with what you EXPECT, and that can
fool you into thinking your assumptions were right - but that does
not VERIFY that the way you're trying to do things is the RIGHT
way (nor that your assumptions were right.) It's difficult.

>> (I doubt that would be a safe way to do that "implicit" ordering in
>> a consistent way, anyway - like what if you use TWO window functions?)
>>
> Yes, it's unspecified.

OK, i can live with that.

(and could you please stay with that, otherwise i'd have to revise
my slides for the upcoming conference for the 47th time or so! ;-) )

cheers,
Frank