-=| Alex Peshkoff, 27.12.2011 14:38:59 +0400 |=-
> Agreed - guardian directory (and probably some others) should be
> overridable by environment. On the other hand, overriding all
> directories like you suggest is bad idea - for a debian package it's
> meaningless to override bin or sbin, they should always point where
> actual binaries are placed.

For the package probably not (there are configure switches for this),
but what about the user?

A user may want to use a Firebird instance completely isolated from
the system-wide installation, including binaries, etc. One possible
usage could be testing new versions or snapshots or bug fixes without
disturbing the system-wide operations.

Thus I think that the possibility to override all configurable
directories from the environment is a useful feature.