Thomas,

> While the restore process is pretty much I/O bound,

While that is true for desktop PCs with HDDs (not SSDs) or server without a
cached RAID controllers, but it is certainly not true as a blanket statement.

There is plenty of room for more throughput.

> Another option might be to restore to a RAM disk, if the database file fits
> onto it and then move the restored database to a persistent storage.

Agreed, and a restore process with multiple writers and multiple index rebuilds
would be of even more significant benefit!

A RAM disk based backup/restore is possible today without any change to FB.  I
am referring to a truly kick-but restore process.

Sean