Adriano wrote:

> > That's right, the problem is in GEN_UUID, not in the conversion functions.
> >

> Thanks for catch this up. I believe you're correct, like I was too, but
> fooled on all the noise of this thread.

Yes, when I re-read the December thread yesterday, I noticed that you were of
the same opinion as I. So it surprised me that the code went another way ;-)

(...)

> - GEN_UUID result should not be treated in the client as a in-memory
> GUID directly. It *was* correct for this provided that server and client
> were little-endian,

Only if the client program blindly memcopied the string back to a GUID struct,
and worked with that instead of what was in the database. But a programmer who
knows the specification wouldn't code it that way. Unless he also knew *our*
source code, of course - and assumed that it would stay that way forever ;-)

> but this "property" will be lost.

Nobody needs such a property anyway. After all, we don't return integers in
host byte order either. Host order is an internal storage matter; database
users shouldn't be aware of it, let alone be bothered with it.

> - Case for UUID_TO_CHAR will not be changed as this will be backward
> incompatible. So we live with it, everyone could use LOWER.

Too bad, I would personally have preferred to see it changed. But I realise
that this could break some existing code. Maybe a convenience function
UUID_TO_LOCHAR would be nice?

> Also I guess there is still time to commit it for 2.5.2, as otherwise
> nothing of this makes sense.

Quite agreed.

Paul Vinkenoog