I think that making everyone pay the cost of the overhead generated by so
many "hooks" inside the engine is a very bad idea. For me, it would be a
great thing if all tracing and encryption code produces zero CPU usage when
not enabled. This is an ideal world, of course.

At the PSQL level, it would suffice for tracing purposes to have a call,
like
USER_TRACE("<string>");
and you can put whatever you want there. Now, the overhead is explicit. Even
more, if there was a way to say
ALTER PROCEDURE p TRACE ON
ALTER PROCEDURE p TRACE OFF
then the body would be recompiled and when the param is OFF, all USER_TRACE
statements would be ignored by the parser.

C.