Dmitry,

> 1) If we ever face a platform with sizeof(int) == 8 (IA64? anything
> else?) would it be OK that our API becomes platform-specific in regard
> to its ABI? Or was it exactly the goal? IIRC, we had discussed using
> types from stdint.h instead, but I don't remember any decision.

When there were actually platform-specific types, the goal was to make the
API platform independent. That was a significant technical advantage when
the world was moving from mostly little endian to big endian, DEC had its
own floating point type, and the Cray (yes there was a Cray port) had
sixty-four bit integers, sixty-four bit bytes, and 64-bit characters.

If it's not too technically difficult, maintaining a platform-independent
API may help Firebird succeed as new processor families mature to the point
of being useful for database applications.

Cheers,

Ann