I just saw this question on Stackoverflow
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18026907/firebird-insert-hex-values-into-tables-arithmetic-exception

And I wondered if it isn't a bug that hex values with 1-4 digits are
integer and not smallint. Or at least: shouldn't the engine have enough
context information to correctly convert 0x8000 to a smallint -32768
instead of an integer 32768?

Mark Rotteveel