>>> I suppose it's a kind of client tool, but how can solution be oriented
>>> for specific one?
>> Here's Database Workbench:
>> http://www.upscene.com/database_workbench/
>>
>> This is what many people use for database development. ;)
>>

>It's only .exe, that's why I've never used to work with it.

Wine is your friend. ;)

>>> Sorry, but looks like I completely misunderstand what do you suggest...
>> InterBase has two ways of authenticating to databases, just as Firebird
>> now
>> has:
>> 1) server wide user name
>> 2) per database user names: Embedded User Authentication (EUA)
>>
>> If you enabled EUA on a database, it's detectable once connected, so in
>> this
>> case,
>> Database Workbench enables you to create/modify users on a per database
>> level
>> AND it knows where to find the available user names when visually
>> granting
>> privileges.
>>
>> When EUA is enabled (for InterBase), or a similar feature exists for
>> other
>> database
>> systems, this "Database Navigator" will support a "Users" node:
>> http://www.upscene.com/documentation/dbw5/dbnav_navigator.htm
>>
>> An example of the Grant Manager, which includes a list of available
>> users:
>> http://www.upscene.com/documentation/dbw5/tools_grantmanager.htm
>> Hope this makes things more clear.
>

>Ok, now I've understood that you want to be able to manage users in a
>database not providing login/password info in order to initialize users
>list in it. Well, reasonable client application can easily do it right
>now due to presence of providers architecture.

No, that's not what it is -- Database Workbench will connect to the
database,
via the server, providing a username/password combination.

But after that, it can provide the user with a list of available user names
for
the use in the Grant Manager.

Firebird 3 always provides a SEC$USERS table, either from the server wide
user database OR from the secondary user database.

But for user management, I would like to know if the users list comes from
the
server or from a secondary database, it would be more clear to the users
of Database Workbench to see the difference if there's NO "Users" node
for a database which users server side users, and there is a "Users" node
for databases that use a secondary user database.

>If Database Workbench gets specific error (Install incomplete, please
>read chapter "Initializing security database" in Quick Start Guide) it
>should connect to such database in embedded mode, placing
>isc_dpb_user_name SYSDBA to dpb. In embedded mode you need not specify
>password parameter (i.e. do exactly the same what isql does when typing
>'isql -user sysdba /that/database.fdb'). After it you get full access to
>that database and among others can issue CREATE USER.
>
>This works only for a client running physically on same machine where
>database file is located (and having OS rw access to that file) but
>inability to access databases remotely w/o authentication appears very
>correct for me.

As I said, this is not what I'm trying to do.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions