Alex Peshkoff wrote:
> On 02/07/15 03:20, Geoff Worboys wrote:
>> Simple?  Well, I guess it is if I don't have any care about
>> security.  But context variables are not the way to do this
>> sort of thing, load on demand from a secured table is a less
>> open way of dealing with such private data.

> In FB3 one also can rather safely (certainly using encrypted
> network connection) send password to procedure as parameter.
> What about trace facility - luckily only SYSDBA can trace
> other user's activity, i.e. I do not treat this as high
> security risk. Take into an account that SYSDBA can change
> any password and trace ALTER USER commands issued by others.

Still, the less you have to pass passwords around the better.

>> But I got exactly what I wanted, without spreading passwords
>> around, with just a few lines of code in ExtDS.cpp, which
>> was simple enough for me.  I don't know why the restriction
>> was coded originally, but removing it works and I can't see
>> any obvious downsides (I'm already using a lightly customised
>> build of Firebird for this application, so another small
>> change is not a problem to me).

> Do you plan to provide a patch?

I hadn't really thought about it.  The current restriction is
well documented - hence I thought it must be intentional, even
if I can't work out why.

I'll test it some more (against multiple queries etc.) and if
it comes out okay I'll raise a ticket and put the patch in
with it.

--
Geoff Worboys
Telesis Computing Pty Ltd