On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 16:03:21 +0000
"Leyne, Sean" <s...@broadviewsoftware.com> wrote:

> > > There is very little documentation available on the Classic lock
> > > manager related settings, which is why I ask the question in this
> > > forum. Interested in v2. 5 limitations, but details/differences
> > > for other versions would be appreciated.
> >
> > I assume you mean hash table slots:
> >
> > const SLONG HASH_MAX_SLOTS = 65521;
>
> That was what I was looking for?
>
> Is there any reason why for x64 builds that number could not be
> increased?

As I understand it, a high number of slots will reduce the queue
lengths at the cost of checking a lot of empty slots. Like everything
else, there is a sweet spot.

In your case the queues are typically empty so you could reduce the
number substantially and still see an improvement in performance.

I did some tests a while back which showed that hash slots greater than
around 8000 actually decreased performance. But that was with the tpc-c
benchmark.

The results were consistent across architectures, with 1009 being
slightly behind 31991, which itself was behind 16001. But in all cases
8009 was the winner. I didn't go deeper - it may be that the real sweet
spot is between, say, 6,000 and 12,000, but again, it may also be
database/application specific. But I would start with 8009 and maybe go
upward slowly, rather than jumping to around 64K.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves
http://www.ibphoenix.com