I think there several issues/tickets/changes here:

1- Replace zlib with zstd for over-the-wire compression client communication
2- Replace zlib with zstd in gbak (really nice to have in v4.0)
3- Add zstd compression to nbackup (really nice to have in v4.0)
4- Adding support for compression libraries/plugins for over-the-wire
compression
5- Adding support for compression libraries/plugins to gbak
6- Adding support for compression libraries/plugins to nbackup

I am happy to create Tracker entries, if there is agreement.

Sean