On 2019-12-26 17:40, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
On 2019-12-11 18:06, Mark Rotteveel wrote:

In other words, it looks like the mapping:

of INTEGER-backed types

1. ignores subtype information and

Ignoring subtype is as designed here. The aim of SET BIND is to help client deal with fields values in cases when it for some reason can not work with that format directly. INTEGER-backed types have no format difference depending upon subtype. I can include subtype support provided there will be some other reasonable syntax for current behavior.

I think it is necessary to include subtype information, or at minimum **exclude** the integer types from the current behaviour. I would definitely not expect that a binding for NUMERIC or DECIMAL would also map SMALLINT/INTEGER/BIGINT.

However, my preference would be that the mapping should explicitly only map the subtype corresponding to the name, so NUMERIC should only map NUMERIC and DECIMAL should only DECIMAL. I don't see a need to have syntax that covers the current behaviour.

128-bit literal - is it Numeric or Decimal?