In the README.time_zone, the SET BIND OF TIME ZONE TO EXTENDED is described as being intended to "solve a problem of representing correct time on clients missing ICU library".

All the text I can find, discusses how this is used when reading a TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE data type from a database, but how does this apply to data input?

My understanding is that when a client local ICU is present, the encodeTimeStampTz call uses the client local ICU to translate the timestamp to GMT before passing it to the database. If no client local ICU is present and the SET BIND has been executed then what happens?

Is the timestamp passed to the server where it is translated to GMT or is an error raised?