On 2020-05-30 00:51, Tony Whyman wrote:
On 29/05/2020 14:33, Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote:
On 29.05.2020 16:22, Tony Whyman wrote:
Just tried to check out Beta 2 on Linux Mint 19.3 (= ubuntu bionic 18.04) and found that the binaries have been compiled to use libncurses6. Ubuntu 18.04 uses libncurses5. You need ubuntu 19.10 if you don't want to go through the bother of backporting libncurses6.

By contrast the most recent daily snapshot build has been compiled with libncurses5.

Unless there is something really necessary that only libncurses6 provides (and which doesn't affect the snapshot build), this is going to limit the acceptability of Firebird 4. It would be good idea to re-issue the binaries using the same compilation environment as the snapshot builds.

Sorry - but sooner of all that means we need to upgrade snapshot build env. We are going to make new version support first of all new distros.

Is that really true? If you look at

https://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=libncurses&searchon=names&subword=1&version=breezy&release=all

libncurses5 is supported in the latest Ubuntu releases. I would have thought that while the packages built for a specific OS should use the latest libraries, the general purpose downloads should be conservative in their choice of support packages so that they work on the widest range of systems.

Somewhy everyone is missing libtommath.0 ...