On 2021-02-23 10:27, Jiří Činčura wrote:
Hi *,

is there a reason why POSITION does not work on binary blobs? I would
expect something like `POSITION(blob, 0x1)` to work.

Did you mean POSITION(blob, x'01'), because I wouldn't expect 0x1 (an integer literal) to work.

In any case, the problem is that you have switched the parameters. The correct order would be POSITION(x'01', blob).

The syntax is:
  POSITION (substr IN string)
| POSITION (substr, string [, startpos])

So the string you're searching for should be first, the string you're searching in must come second.

See also https://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/html/en/refdocs/fblangref25/firebird-25-language-reference.html#fblangref25-functions-scalarfuncs-position