Hi Mark, and thanks for getting back to me.

Le mercredi, mai 5, 2021 5:35 PM, Mark Rotteveel <m...@lawinegevaar.nl> a écrit
:

> > Maybe if the DBA/dev could put the KEYWORD [BEFORE | ON |  AFTER] for
> > SQL in CHECK constraints which contain SQL?
> > If this is the wrong place to suggest this, please let me know where I
> > should post this.

> For this purpose, create an AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE trigger.

If I can't even do intra-table (as  opposed to inter-table) SQL in the CHECK
constraint, what's the point in allowing SQL in the constraint at all?

I mean, what does SQL "bring to the party" in this case if I can't use it in
this way?

When I first found out that SQL was allowed in Firebird DDL, I was quite
excited - I've always believed that DDL should be much more flexible and
powerful - indeed, AFAIK, the SQL standard from 1992 allows for database
assertions or database level constraints - it's just that nobody's implemented
them - much to my puzzlement and annoyance.

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

Rgs,

Pól...