Mark Rotteveel wrote:

> I'm currently converting the Firebird Language Reference, and I was
> wondering if there is a preference in the rendering of parameter lists
> as used for function arguments and for syntax elements (in the current
> language reference, a table is used).
>
> I would like to have input on what style to apply
>
> I have prepared three example:
> 1. full width table
> 2. autowidth table (which seems to have width issues in PDF)
> 3. definition list

The tables look clearer to me. You 'get' them in one glance. In general
I'd prefer autowidth, but it doesn't work well in the PDF (quite apart
from the in-word break in 'Parameter', there's too little horizontal
padding) and full width is fine too. However, above left-aligned
columns I'd also left-align the headers. And we could do without the
useless striping in the HTML tables.

All that said, I think the definition list is fine as well. A little
better in the PDF, probably because of the boldfacing of the terms (if
they are - at least they look a tad darker to me).

Cheers,
Paul Vinkenoog