Boolean parameter which, if set True, allows the engine to open database files which reside on a networked filesystem (NFS) mounted partition. Because the filesystem is beyond the control of the local system, this is a very risky feature that should not be enabled for the purpose of opening any read/write database whose survival matters to you.

does it matter to you?

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Daniel Schwarz
Sent: Thursday, 10 August 2006 11:04 PM
To: For users and developers of the Firebird .NET providers
Subject: Re: [Firebird-net-provider] Use "RemoteFileOpenAbility = 1"toaccess aembedded DB located on the network?

Hi everybody,

I just had the problem that it is not possible to access an embedded firebird DB-file located on a shared network drive…

I thought the “RemoteFileOpenAbility” is exactly what I need to do this – but I get the error:

“I/O error for file CreateFile (open) \"here comes the path” \r\nError while trying to open file"}     System.Exception {FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbException}”

Any idea why this happening? I have complete access to that folder (read and write) on the network drive…

Thank you!

Daniel

it's not possible - embedded needs to make an exclusive lock on the file and that can;t happen over network drives with unknown OS's at the other side. Can;t be done - if you want to share a db then use the full server

Alan

            But what can I do with the „RemoteFileOpenAbility” flag in the firebird.conf file then? It seems to me that this is exactly what I need to “override” the security issue and access the file or am I wrong?