> 1] put back encoding of "UNICODE_FSS" to "UTF-8" and find replacements for
> DB client and ODBC driver. Currently I use IBExpert and ODBC
> "Firebird/Interbase Driver" by IBPhoenix.
>
> 2] keep the changed version and possibly have invalid unicode characters in
> my DB when using other ODBC driver than the one mentioned above.

UNICODE_FSS allows "invalid" unicode characters, but starting Firebird
2.0 UNICODE_FSS is deprecated and UTF8 should be used. UTF8 performs
content check of the unicode.

All this means that if in the future you decide to migrate to UTF8 (to
use, for example, all collations that it has and correct uppercasing),
you won't be able to do this. So think twice before "downgrading" your
database to make them readable by non-unicode software...

Roman

P.S. BTW, I'm pretty sure when you have correct unicode database and
specify correct non-unicode charset when connecting in IBExpert or ODBC
driver, you will get your characters back.