Mike Scott wrote:
> OK, thanks, I'll take a look. I'm curious, though, what are your opinions
> about implementing IQueryable etc. as discussed in the articles here:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/mattwar/archive/2007/07/30/linq-building-an-iqueryable
> -provider-part-i.aspx
>
> What are the benefits/drawbacks to using the entity framework as opposed to
> implementing IQueryable?

As I understand it, when you implement IQueryable, you've tied all your
client code to *that specific implementation*. Whereas with the entities
framework, you can simply swap out the entity provider for a different
one. It's basically one level higher than IQueryable.

That means you can write your code against Firebird (or whatever), and
later swap in another ADO.NET data provider without too much trouble.
You can even do it dynamically at runtime.

Additionally, it allows the IDE to generate all kinds of graphical
representations of your data source (which are mapped to "entities") so
you build up your business data object via a graphical UI, and then use
them in your code. Personally, I've never been a fan of this kind of
programming... but that's just me :-)

Dean.