Jiri Cincura wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:34, Luigi Piccinni
> <luigi.picci...@computeraid.it> wrote:
>
>>Programmers who uses .NET 2.0 (for example because they cannot upgrade the
>>software in production from 2.0 to 3.5 or 4) have to get the provider's
>>source code every new release and recompile it using VS2010 (thanks to the
>>multi-framework functionality), or a specific .NET 2.0 compiler (VS2005,
>>CSC2, ...)
>
> It will not work. First because the new C# language features (like
> object initializers) and second because of new .NET objects (i.e. Func
> or L2O).

So it's not an option to maintain a common 2.0 and 4.0 codebase.
Apparently it *is* possible to maintain a common 3.5 and 4.0 codebase,
since that's what you said is your intention. So, are those language
features available in 3.5 already? 3.0 too?

No matter what, I suggest again that you branch off a version for .Net
2.0, which would be kept alive for bugfixes but no new features. Poll
your userbase a few times a year, and when interest in 2.0 support seems
to have died off or it's judged to be very stable, stop maintaining it
but keep it at the download site "as is".

Would that be a good approach?

Kjell