I found that it works with kinterbasdb for UTF8 or NONE connection type.

I tried changing the column definition to "blob binary character set none" and some other things but none of them helped with fdb (1.0). For some combinations of the column type and the connection character set I got Python utf8 decode errors, others just truncated the data. Also tried with a Firebird 2.5 server (I was using 2.1) without any success.

Hamish