On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Alexey Kovyazin <a...@ib-aid.com> wrote:

> Ann,
>
> By allocating that much memory to the database page cache, you reduce the
> amount of memory available for other uses, like the system page cache.
>
> if Marcelo wants to achieve better performance, not just put database to
> the memory, I think it's good to mention here that performance could be
> worse in this case. It can be very bad in case of Classic/SuperClassic and
> slightly worse in case of SuperServer (he did not indicate what architecture
> he uses and how many users are there).

Two or three other people had offered better suggestions, and in sections of
my message  that you didn't quote, I did say that using the database page
cache to move the database to memory was not a good idea.  However what
Marcelo asked was how to calculate the cache size to put his whole database
in memory.  Whether or not that's a good idea, it is a straight-forward
calculation.

> Certainly such vacuous cases are interesting to discuss, but I think people
> in support forum can recognize it as signal to change their Firebird
> configurations, which will lead to unforeseen consequences.

If anyone out there is considering using the Firebird configurations to move
an whole database into memory, THAT IS A BAD IDEA!  Don't do it.

Cheers,

Ann