Rick Debay wrote:

>> gbak: ERROR: I/O error for file "/tmp/fb_sort__M9plMy"
>> gbak: ERROR:     Error while trying to write to file
>> gbak: ERROR:     No space left on device
>>

>> We've started getting this error when restoring an 11GB database.  How
>> much space should we estimate for temp files?

More.

 Thomas Steinmaurer <t...@iblogmanager.com> wrote:

> Twice the size is an old and possibly still a good guess, I think. It
> all depends on the number and size of the indices.

Each table must be sorted for each index defined.  The sort doesn't
use the whole record, just the key, the record number, and a small
amount of overhead.  The sort is done for each index, and no sorts are
done in parallel.    If you have lots of small tables, you'll need
less space than if you have a few very large tables.  The amount of
space used is determined by the index with the largest key in the
largest table and may require considerably more space than the index
it eventually creates if sub-sorts have to be merged to disk.

Good luck,

Ann