We  are using FB 2.5.1, but it happened with FB 2.5.0 as well, but I am not
sure if the version made any difference.

These are the stats on the currently running database BKM8,  and one I swept
earlier BKM6 (BKM6  had the problem and the sweep took 4 hours).

It seems as if SWEEP is the answer.

Database "BKM8.FDB"
Database header page information:
        Flags                   0
        Checksum                12345
        Generation              239517
        Page size               4096
        ODS version             11.2
        Oldest transaction      231261
        Oldest active           231262
        Oldest snapshot         186856
        Next transaction        238866
        Bumped transaction      1
        Sequence number         0
        Next attachment ID      645
        Implementation ID       26
        Shadow count            0
        Page buffers            0
        Next header page        0
        Database dialect        3
        Creation date           Jan 18, 2012 22:36:49
        Attributes              force write

    Variable header data:
        Sweep interval:         20000
        *END*

and here is the one I did a sweep on (while it was connected to an application)

Database "BKM6_SAVE.FDB"
Database header page information:
        Flags                   0
        Checksum                12345
        Generation              449878
        Page size               4096
        ODS version             11.2
        Oldest transaction      449080
        Oldest active           449081
        Oldest snapshot         449081
        Next transaction        449085
        Bumped transaction      1
        Sequence number         0
        Next attachment ID      786
        Implementation ID       26
        Shadow count            0
        Page buffers            0
        Next header page        0
        Database dialect        3
        Creation date           Jan 2, 2012 17:09:05
        Attributes              force write

    Variable header data:
        Sweep interval:         20000
        *END*